With support from the United Arab Emirates, UWESO is implementing the AROC project (Advancing Rights & Opportunities for Vulnerable Children). The project aims at reducing vulnerability among children who have limited access to education because of their socio economic conditions partly caused by their migrant nature and refugee status. The Organization seeks to recruit qualified and competent candidates for the position below:
Job Title: Business Development Officer
No. of Positions: One
Job location: Kampala
Nature of appointment: Contractual Basis
Purpose of the position:
To work within the Business Development Division alongside sectoral specialists and integrated programme staff in the design and development of grant proposals
Tasks and key responsibilities;
The primary function of this role is to efficiently and effectively lead the development of grant proposals, ensuring that they are submitted on time, within UWESO and donor guidelines and are of high quality. Specific elements of this function include:
- Work with UWESO Program team as well as other contributors (including from partner organizations) to ensure high quality project design.
- Be the lead writer on grant proposals.
- Working closely with Finance and programs staff to develop budgets.
- Working closely with colleagues in M&E, operations, procurement, HR and other departments to ensure all components of the proposal are well designed and articulated.
- Leading liaising with donor, as appropriate, throughout the application process.
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with principal donors and gather intelligence on new opportunities and trends that align to UWESO strategic priorities.
- Actively market UWESO to donors through visits, attendance at events and participation in working groups.
- Maintain up-to-date mapping on donor contacts, trends and opportunities.
- Support UWESO staff to build relationships with donors
- Identify public and private (for profit/not for profit) partners that map against UWESO’s strategy and establish relationships for prepositioning.
- Develop formal agreements with new partners.
- Liaise with other organizations and UWESO regional Offices to collaborate in standards setting, materials development, and learning activities together with respective technical specialists.
- Document lessons learnt and promising practices
- Support the ongoing development of UWESO staff in the acquisition of new grants through training, mentoring and other relevant initiatives
- Manage the communication function of the organization.
- To enhance the organization visibility and play the role of public and media relations.
Qualifications: Education/Knowledge/Technical Skills and Experience
- Minimum of a University degree in management, development, or related field
- At least 3 years field-based experience in international development in East African region and demonstrated knowledge of relevant sectoral and operational areas
- Demonstrated experience in program development and fundraising.
- Experience with proposal development including support and writing with various donors, particularly US Government, European Union, UN agencies, private foundations and corporations required.
- Experience representing an organization and its interests to a diverse range of local and international government officials, donor agencies, local civil society organizations, other international organizations, the media and the public
- Proficiency in basic computer applications (MS Office)
- Excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills.
- Proven analytical/problem-solving abilities.
- Cross-cultural experience, understanding and sensitivity.
- Requires English fluency, both written and spoken.
- Pro-active personality
- Capacity to manage complex processes
- Flexibility to be able to work overtime where required meeting deadlines
- Flexibility to perform other duties as required.
- Strong team player
Job Title: Community Based Trainers
No. of Positions: 10 (2 positions per sub County). Ngarama, Rugaaga, Rushasha, Kikagati, Isingiro Town Council, Bushumba)
Job location: Isingiro District
No. of Positions: 10 (2 positions per sub County). Mwizi, Kamukuzi, Nyakayojo, Bugamba and Kakoba
Job location: Mbarara District
Reports to: Project Officer.
Nature of appointment: Contract (1 year and Renewable)
The Community Based Trainer is a full time position responsible for supporting AROC project field activities. S/He will be responsible for provision of Child Protection, Education and economic strengthening of communities, Mobilization and Training of communities, provide supervision and mentorship, and collaborate with community technical and local leaders during project implementation.
- Must have completed O level or A level and any other Community related qualification.
- Strong skills in team work, networking, facilitation and strategic thinking.
- High levels of integrity and at least 3 years of experience in community work.
- Ability to work effectively in collaboration with diverse groups of people.
- Knowledge of the local language will be an added advantage.
- Must be mature ( 21 years and above) ,a resident in that community(sub county)
- Excellent writing skills.
- Good communication skills; Ability to communicate in English and the local languages.
- Ability to collect data and reporting.
- A confident self-starter who displays initiative, creativity and strategic thinking in all aspects of project development
- Ability to regularly and flexibly travel between designated project Units.
- Ability and willingness to ride a bicycle
How to Apply:
Send soft copies of your Application letter, CV (Max 3 pages) including names of 3 referees, Copies of relevant Academic documents, and a daytime telephone contact by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or deliver hard copies addressed to the Human Resource Officer at the following UWESO offices:
For the position of Business Development Officer deliver hard copies to UWESO head office at Plot 2 Tagore Crescent, Kamwokya, Kampala. Tel: 0392 777 448
For the position of Community Based Trainers deliver hard copies to UWESO Mbarara office at House 11 Kamukuzi Opposite District Probation and Social Welfare Offices Mbarara. (Please indicate the preferred district and sub-county you want to work in).
Deadline for submission of applications is not later than Friday 16th March 2018 at 4:00pm.
NB:Only successful candidates will be contacted and All applicants who applied earlier are not eligible to apply again.